480 So. Main St. Bradford, MA 01835 | School Hours: 8:30AM-2:45PM
Phone: (978) 374-5787 | Fax: (978) 374-5790
Enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year is now open and we want you to get a head start!
Children living in Haverhill who are five years old by August 31, 2023 (born between 9/1/2017 – 8/31/2018) are eligible to enroll in Haverhill Public School’s FREE all-day Kindergarten Program.
Haverhill Public Schools is committed to helping children learn and grow during the summer months. Please see the variety of programs that we offer at no cost to families. Programs start and end on different dates/times and are subject to change. Please feel free to contact your student’s school with any questions.
Caleb Dustin Hunking bears a close relationship to Haverhill’s most historical character, being a direct descendant of Hannah Duston. Born in Hill, New Hampshire February 24, 1805, he attended Franklin Academy, Franklin, New Hampshire for a short time after which teaching occupied several years of his early life. Removing to Haverhill he became one of the best known and esteemed shoe manufacturers in this City. In 1855 he became the first man from Haverhill to sit on the Governors Council and in 1857 served in the State Senate. Later he was “Justice of the Peace and Quorum for all of the Counties of the Commonwealth.” In 1847 he built a home at the corner of Merrimack and How Streets where the Masonic Temple now is. When the Business Section expanded from Water Street to Merrimack Street in 1871 the house was moved to Main Street. In 1923 it was sold to the American Legion for use as a home. Expanding his shoe business he built “the Granite Front” a business block at 68-84 Merrimack Street where he occupied the upper floors, renting the street floor to R. H. Macy who later sold his business here and moved to New York where he established and built up the spectacularly successful department store bearing the name of “Macy’s.” A substantial amount of capitol is said to have been supplied by his friend Caleb Hunking.…..
excerpted from the Dedication, March 16, 1960