Hunking Middle School
CALEB DUSTIN HUNKING
Caleb Dustin Hunking bears a close relationship to Haverhill’s most historical character, being a direct descendant of Hannah Duston. Born in Hill, New Hampshire February 24, 1805, he attended Franklin Academy, Franklin, New Hampshire for a short time after which teaching occupied several years of his early life. Removing to Haverhill he became one of the best known and esteemed shoe manufacturers in this City. In 1855 he became the first man from Haverhill to sit on the Governors Council and in 1857 served in the State Senate. Later he was “Justice of the Peace and Quorum for all of the Counties of the Commonwealth.” In 1847 he built a home at the corner of Merrimack and How Streets where the Masonic Temple now is. When the Business Section expanded from Water Street to Merrimack Street in 1871 the house was moved to Main Street. In 1923 it was sold to the American Legion for use as a home. Expanding his shoe business he built “the Granite Front” a business block at 68-84 Merrimack Street where he occupied the upper floors, renting the street floor to R. H. Macy who later sold his business here and moved to New York where he established and built up the spectacularly successful department store bearing the name of “Macy’s.” A substantial amount of capitol is said to have been supplied by his friend Caleb Hunking.…..
excerpted from the Dedication, March 16, 1960
Congratulations to the Hunking girls and boys cross country team.The Girls took 1st and 2nd place in the tri meet against Haverhill, North Andover and Methuen!Thank you for a great season everyone.
Picture Retakes December 6th
Student Council Information-Forms are in the School Office
Do you want to be part of the
Hunking Bobcat Student Council?
About the Hunking Middle School Student Council
• Do you want to make a difference this year?
• Do you want school to be an even more fun and exciting place to be?
• The HMS School Student Council plans and organizes events for middle school students.
Who Can Participate?
• The HMS Student Council will consist of students in Grades 6-8. Members must complete an application. At least two students from each homeroom will be chosen, based on the eligibility requirements. The ex ecutive committee is then selected from the classroom representatives.
• We are looking for some dynamic, enthusiastic, and committed Middle School students to join the Student Council for this year. Qualities necessary for any member on student council are:
• Leadership skills – Are you willing to lead committees and be a representative for your class?
• Creative – Are you able to think of new and exciting activities and fundraisers for the student council?
• Communicative – Are you able to share ideas with other student council members, your class and all of middle school?
• Team player – You could be working with a team to generate ideas and organize events for the Student Council.
• Responsibility – You may be responsible for running activities throughout the school and you must be reliable.
• Commitment – This is a year long activity and if you volunteer now, you will be expected to come to all meetings for the remainder of the year. There will be at least 8 meetings throughout the year after school, so if this does not fit into your schedule, please do not volunteer.
Benefits of Participating
Students should consider this the Extra Curricular Activity (ECA) because it helps to build character, leadership, decision making, organization skills and responsibility.
When & Where Does The Club Meet?
The first meeting will be held on Thursday Oct 27, at 8:05 in room 59 Students joining student council will be supervised by Mrs. Godfrey, Mrs. Murray, Mrs. Gould and Mr. Jimenez.
Staff Advisor & Additional Information
For additional information about the Hunking Middle School Student Council, please contact Mrs. Godfrey in room 59,
Mrs. Murray in room 53 or parent volunteer Mrs. Gould.
2016-17 Student Council Application Timeline
• October 17, 2016 Students may begin picking up packets during period 2 classes.
• *October 27 – 2:45 pm – Deadline for submission of completed packet to the class you eat lunch with.
• Students will give short speeches to their “Why you would be an asset to the Hunking Student Council” on Friday October 28, 2016.
• Each grade level section will vote for representatives. More Reps may be voted in if needed.
Completed packets due to your Period 2 Teacher
by 2:45 pm, Thursday October 27, 2016
Hunking Middle School Student Council
Representative Application Information
This form contains information for students wishing to become involved as HMS Student Council
Representatives for the 2015-2016 school year. Students MUST read all portions of this document carefully,
complete all necessary pages, obtain all required documents to be returned with the application AND meet all
deadlines contained in this packet. Do NOT submit individual pages/documents – submit the entire packet at one time!
Eligibility for Student Council Class Representative
• A class representative must maintain a passing grade in all courses and should have earned passing grades during the last 20 weeks of the prior school year.
• A class representative’s experience within the Middle School may not include disciplinary
referrals related to insubordination, classroom disruptions, or truancy.
Application Packets Must Include the Following . . .
• Student Council Questionnaire: This is your chance to demonstrate quality writing and
thinking skills. The Student Council Questionnaire will provide the advisor with valuable
information concerning your skills as a student leader.
• Student Council Parent Permission Slip: Each candidate must submit a signed permission slip.
• ALL paperwork must be submitted, fully completed in order to be reviewed by Mrs. Murray and Mrs. Godfrey.
Student Council Representative Responsibilities
1. Attend ALL scheduled meetings. Three unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the
2. Act responsibly at all meetings and activities/events and as a leader at Hunking Middle School.
3. Keep grades as high as possible. A 2.0 is required, but higher is encouraged.
4. Good citizenship is a must. Student Council is a team.
5. Solicit input from your team. You ARE their representative.
6. Attend all committee meetings and perform all assigned responsibilities at activities/events.
Student Council Parent Permission
Please return this section in your application packet, which is due in your Period 2 class on or before 2:45 pm, Thursday October 27, 2016.
Student Name: ________________________________ Current Grade ________ ELP RM#___
We are aware that our daughter/son is a candidate for Student Council membership at Hunking Middle School. We have gone over member responsibilities and understand that these positions require effort, diligence and leadership qualities. We also understand that failure to perform the specific duties that have been outlined may result in our son’s/daughter’s dismissal.
We further acknowledge the fact that parents are an integral part of Student Council’s success and whenever the need arises, we will be willing to provide transportation for our daughter’s/son’s meetings and special events. We also realize that we may be asked to volunteer to chaperone special events.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Dear Parents and Guardians,Good afternoon, if you have concerns, questions, or comments about what is happening in your child’s classroom please contact your child’s teacher directly or contact administration. We believe home/school communication is the key to student success. Thank you!Sincerely,Shannon NolanPrincipal, Hunking Middle School978-374-5787
HUNKING CHEERLEADINGHUNKING CHEERLEADINGInformational Meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 11 at the end of the day in the Technology Room.Students will learn about tryouts, special dates, attendance, practice locations and determine a plan for the Holiday Parade. Students must attend the meeting to be considered for the team. If they are absolutely not available to come, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make other arrangements.Practices will be held twice a week. Location to be confirmed with available days. This will be communicated at the meeting. When games begin, Games are 2x per week with exceptions being makeup games due to weather. During the final playoff, the team will showcase a routine at Haverhill High School.
Hunking PTO Fundraiser
Model United Nations
Its not too late?
Solve world problems.
Fight for humanity.
Every Thursday in Room 10. (until Dec. 10) 2:50pm to 3:30pm
Dates for the Un Conference are Wed., Dec. 14th and Thurs. Dec. 15th. Conference will be at the Haverhill High School buses will take the children to the school at 8:30 prompt.
See Mrs. Briggs with questions.
Tuesday, Nov. 8, Election Day- No School for Students
Friday, Nov. 11, Veterans Day, No School
Wednesday, Nov. 23, Thanksgiving Recess, Early Dismissal (11am)
Nov. 24th & Nov. 25th- Thanksgiving Recess- No School
Tuesday, Nov. 29th, Marks Close Grades K-8 (1st. Trimester)
Friday, Dec. 9, Grades K-8 Report Cards issued
A Message from the Principal
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Good morning, Mr. Gage and I visited lunches this week to remind students of the importance of keeping our school clean. We reminded students to please keep lockers organized, hallways free of trash and trash off the bathroom floors. Please talk with your child about this. Thank you! ● The Hunking PTO is running a Halloween Fundraiser going on at school. Send a Halloween cookie to a friend for $1.00. All funds support the Hunking PTO. ● Congratulations to the girls and boys cross country team. The girls took first and second place in the tri-meet against Haverhill, North Andover and Methuen. Thank you to everyone for a great season! ● Student council forms are in the office and due back by Thursday October 27 ○ Please give forms to Mrs. Godfrey ○ October 27 at 8:05 there will be a quick informational meeting in room 59 ○ We are looking for student leaders. Please talk with your child about getting involved with student council! ● October 23 Eighth grade students are welcome to attend the Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School Open House 2:00-4:00 ● October 25 Hunking Soccer vs. Whittier at Bradford Elementary School ● October 26 Fundraiser Merchandise will be delivered to Hunking ● October 27 4:00-10:00 Hunking will have a fundraiser at Launch in Methuen ○ Bring the flyer posted on the website and Hunking will receive 20% of ticket proceeds ● October 27 Hunking Soccer vs. Nettle at Bradford Elementary School ● November 5 Eighth grade Classical Academy Exam will begin at 8:30. The exam will take place at Hunking. o Completed registrations are due October 20th o Go to the HHS website, click The Academies Tab, click Classical Academy, click the Online Registration Form ● November 8 is Election Day. There will be no school for students. ● November 11 Veteran’s Day No School ● November 16 PTO meeting 5:15-6:15 ● November 16 Private School Open House at Presentation of Mary 10-1 Have a wonderful Weekend. Please contact me at Shannon.email@example.com with questions, comments or concerns!
Shannon Nolan Principal,
Hunking Middle School 978-374-5787
Estimados padres y tutores, Buenos días, Sr. Gage y yo visitamos para llevar esta semana para recordar a los estudiantes de la importancia de mantener nuestra escuela limpia. Recordamos a los estudiantes para complacer a mantener organizados los armarios, pasillos libres de basura y basura de los pisos del baño. Por favor hable con su hijo acerca de esto. ¡Gracias! ● El Hunking toma de fuerza se está ejecutando una recaudación de fondos de Halloween pasando en la escuela. Enviar una cookie de Halloween a un amigo por $ 1.00. Todos los fondos de apoyo a la toma de fuerza Hunking. ● Felicidades a las niñas y los niños cruzan equipo en el país. Las chicas obtuvieron el primer y segundo lugar en la tri-meet contra Haverhill, North Andover y Methuen. ¡Gracias a todos por una gran temporada! ● Formas consejo de estudiantes están en la oficina y debe regresar al jueves 27 octubre ○ Por favor, dar forma a la señora Godfrey ○ 27 de octubre a 08:05 habrá una rápida reunión informativa en la habitación 59 ○ Buscamos líderes estudiantiles. Por favor, hable con su hijo acerca de cómo involucrarse con el consejo de estudiantes 2: ● del 23 de octubre los estudiantes de octavo grado están invitados a asistir a la Notre Dame Escuela Secundaria Cristo Rey de la casa abierta 00-4: 00 ● de octubre de 25 de Hunking Fútbol vs Whittier en la Escuela Primaria Bradford ● 26 de octubre de Mercancía recaudación de fondos será entregado a Hunking ● 27 de de octubre de 4: 00-10: 00 Hunking tendrá una recaudación de fondos en el lanzamiento en Methuen ○ Llevar el folleto publicado en el sitio web y Hunking recibirá el 20% del billete procede ● de octubre de 27 de Hunking Fútbol vs ortiga en Bradford Escuela primaria ● de noviembre de octavo 5 grado Clásica examen Academia comenzará a las 8:30. El examen tendrá lugar en Hunking. O Inscripciones completas deben 20de octubre o Ir a la página web del HHS, en la ficha Academias, haga clic Clásica Academia, haga clic en el registro en línea Formulario ● 8 Noviembre es el día de la elección. No habrá clases para los alumnos PTO. ● de noviembre de día de 11 veteranos No hay clases ● reunión de noviembre de 16 5: 15-6: 15 ● Noviembre 16 Escuela Privada de puertas abiertas en Presentación de María 10-1 Tener un fin de semana maravilloso. Por favor, póngase en contacto conmigo en Shannon.firstname.lastname@example.org con preguntas, comentarios o preocupaciones!
Shannon Nolan Principal,
Hunking Middle School 978-374-5787
NEW Hunking Traffic PatternDear Parents and Guardians,School begins Tuesday morning at 8:30! You will notice a lot of changes to Hunking on Tuesday. Please see the attached document for directions on parent drop-off and pick-up. If your child is a walker and is coming from the Presidential Gardens area and usually cuts through the woods using the path, which ends at the back of the school, this will no longer be an option. There is a fence around the entire property and students will not be able enter the school this way. Please instruct your child to use the front entrance of the school.Sincerely,Shannon NolanShannon NolanPrincipal, Hunking Middle School978-374-5787 Hunking Traffic Pattern